etsy.com/people/beforeafton

etsy.com/people/beforeafton

Sunday, August 21, 2011

VIDEO VIXEN

okay, this is really humiliating.
but i often, VERY OFTEN, okay okay ALWAYS pretend like im in music videos.

for real.
like if im driving with the windows down, and the sun is setting just right, and my hair is blowing at an acceptable angle---i pretend like the camera is watching as i lipsynch, drum my fingers on the steering wheel, and smoke my ciggerate to the beat.

when i was younger-in middle school-i used to stay in my room for HOURS just standing in front of the mirror pretending i was Fiona Apple in the Criminal video. Mildy inappropriate gyrations in front of the full length, eyes heavily rimmed in black wet n' wild walmart eyeliner, hairbrush microphone in hand---i truly WAS Fiona.

Ever since i was a 3 year old standing on top of the bricklined fireplace at my parents house in paris texas mouthing the words to madonna with oversize sunglasses and a wooden spoon as a microphone, i have been a rockstar in my own mind. Here are the ten songs lately that have made me feel most like a video vixen.

1. Tom Petty-Freefallin.............................(i just KNOW he wrote this song for me.)

2. Anything by Dead Weather (especially I cant hear you.) such a sexy song. if you dont have much SEX-y in your life, at least music can fill a TINY part of the void.

3. Kings of Leon-Taper Jean Girl (a feel good tune, im wearing my tapered jeans, shaking my hair to the beat while i uinload the dishwasher and look into camera #2.)

4. MGMT-Electric Feel. YES, i still pretend im hot shit runway model heiress to millions oscar winner indie rocker and designer muse when this song comes on. Suck it.

5. TV on the Radio-WOLF like me.     i will always, always, always, light my ciggerate the second he sings the lines 'baby girl i recognize, youre a hideous thing inside." love this song.

6. Air-Playground Love.   What red blooded american girl hasnt fantasized about being Lux Lisbon in Sofia Coppolas lovely film?  cue the soft lighting and run through a field of daisies.

7. Angus and Julia Stone-Big Jet Plane.    everything from the melody to the harmony makes this song a favorite melancholy tune. best for looking longingly into the mirror at the imaginary lover on the other side.

8. Bush-Mouth................obsessed with this song as a youngster. i have rediscovered it, and i like to pretend a single Gavin Rossdale pre-kids is dedicating this to me while i shower. shhhh!!

9. Bright Eyes-Lover I dont Have to Love......angsty! every fight i get into with any boy i have ever even remotely liked has the soundtrack of this song running round my head.

10. Madeline Peyroux-between the bars.           This is one of those songs that follows me walking down a busy street on a lonely, drizzly night. of course i pretend the camera follows behind me and films my footprints in the rain.

dont judge-you know you do it to. and if you dont, or never have, youre a bore.

No comments:

Post a Comment